Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The eye surgeries happened over the space of 2 years and we did a little more traveling in between. Then the economy happened. We went fro our dream home to a 2 bedroom rented townhouse. We coped with that well enough, I thought. I started noticing my husband got confused about where we were. Like what street we were on. Since I do all the driving now, he said it was because he didn't pay attention since he doesn't drive. Then I noticed the memory problems, and a few other things and I took him to see a neurologist. He had a brain scan and it was clear and the diagnosis was mild dementia . Down sizing was a lot harder on my husband than on me. I found that getting rid of a lot of "stuff" was actually liberating. Then last summer, he had a colonoscopy and they found a tumor. His doc sent him to get a CT scan to check it out further before surgery and the scan detected an abdominal aorta aneurysm. In June he had a colon resection. The cancer was contained. In August he had a stent graft on his aneurysm. Physically, he is doing great. Mentally not so much.

Which is why I decided to start this blog. I am amazed at how much he has changed in the last year. He still has pretty good long term memory, but short term is really bad. I try to have a sense of humor about how our life is changing, it's one of my coping things.

One day I went to the door to let the dog out and I thought I saw this huge black bug. I started to wave it off with my hand, but it wouldn't go away. If you had seen me it was a sight, there I was trying to bat away something that wasn't there. Then I realized this was not a bug but a black spot on my eye, that obscured my vision. I was frightened and thought to myself the last thing we need is 2 blind people in the house and I went to see the eye doctor. The doc said it was a floater, a large one and explained what was happening. Then he told me "it's age related". That was the first time I'd heard that about myself, but not the last. That's how I named this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment